Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Her Typewriter


It's finished! This old typewriter has been hanging around for years. I always had the thought that it would make a great art piece. But then, like so many projects, it sat unfulfilled. A few weeks ago, I began the painting, and last night I added the embellishments. I am very happy with it. It feels like a tribute to all the women who earned their livelihoods, taking notes (perhaps stenographic notes) from their bosses, typing them up, and handing them over for approval or signatures.

I was one of those women, for a period of time in my life. Of course, I had an electric typewriter, but the process was the same. I wonder whose fingers touched those keys, and what their life was like. Now that it's altered, it makes me smile.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! It's a wonderful tribute and deserves a special spot of honor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too much fun! I learned to type on a similar kind of typewriter and it took getting onto a laptop to stop me from pressing the keys so hard. I like your fun colors on this whimsical artpiece.

    ReplyDelete