Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

HOPE



Signs of HOPE! The cute little smiley-face is Addison, my 2-year-old granddaughter. She gets this mischievous look on her face quite often--usually followed by a comment with lots of dramatic flair. Yesterday she said, "I have to get all my instruments!" (meaning her toy piano, drum, cymbals, and tambourine--and she can name them all). Whenever any of my grandkids are here, I feel joyful and optimistic. They're a little reminder of childhood innocence and awe.

This morning I awakened early and felt compelled to go into my reading room and journal. As I was doing that, I heard the lovely song of a red-winged blackbird. I looked out, and sure enough, there was one perched on the top of the feeder. Soon there were many of them, singing a lovely chorus. It became quiet again, and then I heard a new song. Could it be? YES! A whole flock of robins in the pear tree, sounding just glorious.(The same pear tree that just 4 days ago was covered in snow!) I felt alive with joy and hope. Even though they were gone as suddenly as they appeared, it left me feeling that Spring cannot be far away.

2 comments:

  1. My daughter head the red-wings the other day too! Oh goodie! And robins! We're ready, aren't we?

    ReplyDelete