Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 19, 2009

BIG STEP!


Today I took a big step towards my Art Journey. I booked a day for an Art Show. The date is May 16, and it will be at Grace Place in our church. On the one hand, it seems like an odd place for an art show, but on the other hand (as my son Andrew reminded me) it makes perfect sense because my former pastor and spiritual director, Barb Donica, was the one who encouraged me in my art.

The purpose of this show is to share my art, expose people to Altered Art (which is quite different for many), reflect on where I've been on my art journey, and most importantly to "make way" for the next leg of my journey.

Here is a piece I just completed, using stained tissue papers we made at our workshop. It started out as a City Scape; but as so much of my art does, it took on a life of its own and became this statement of transformation. It has a lot of contrast, in both color and texture. The colors are unusual for me, but I have recently fallen in love with purples and grays. In fact, I just repainted our bedroom last week in--grays and purples, of course. With accents of lime green and turquoise, grounded with black shiny surfaces.

"Transformation" seems appropriate for this time in my life. And this art show feels like a big part of that.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! And you will have to post more info about your art show when it draws closer. i like this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you April. Yes, I will be sending out postcards to everyone I know (or ever knew)!

    ReplyDelete