Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Altered Head Evolves...

I decided to give her beaded, frizzly hair. Inside some of the washers, I placed irridescent sequin-like flowers, attached with pearl-ended pins.
Some of the beads spell words, such as ART, HOME, FAMILY. The spirals represent her thoughts spiraling out into the world. It will take a lot of time to finish her hair this way!
The silver leaf seemed to be the best nose; I attached it with wire. Its weight will also help balance against all the wires in her head. I may need to modify the blueness of the face somehow--it's pretty intense. When he saw it, my husband asked, "What planet are you from?" Ha! She looks rather sad, which was not intentional. Perhaps she's not so much sad, as she is at peace with herself.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I will look forward to meeting you at VR. I just drove through Joliet yesterday as I was returning from an art fair in Geneva, IL. What a small world, huh?
    And I love your head btw. Very fun, the hair is especially cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you. I have a feeling I will be making several of these heads--they are a little addicting aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love her, Marge! Yes, the hair is wonderful! What fun she is! I had one of those heads, just plain, too - that I had my grandmother's dust cap on and Danielle wanted to paint on it one day. Will have to get that out and maybe her and I can finish it off with some fancy hair like that! She's great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks April! I love doing the beading as it's something new for me. We'll see what she needs after her hair is "done."

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun! I love beads and think I'll have to try this eventually but for now I will enjoy seeing your progress. By the way, the color combinations and the words within the beads is wonderfully creative.

    ReplyDelete