Total Pageviews

Monday, April 26, 2010

Valley Ridge/MaryBethShaw/Day 3

This is on a pastelboard. I used pastels first, then painted over it. I felt it needed some texture, so I added some with the Wood Icing and a piece of drywall tape as a stencil. I really like this effect--delicate, yet raised. The color palette is one of my favorites from this class: gamboge, Quin Crimson and Cerulean Deep.
This is another pastelboard. The three dots at the bottom didn't turn out well; for some reason, the paint cracked. The board itself is dark, and this piece seems a little dark to me overall.
Here's the same palette on a gessoboard. Seems a bit brighter to me. I like it better than the pastelboards, which didn't take the paint very well at first.

And here's the same palette on clayboard. I like being able to carve into it AND put texture on top of it. It adds another dimension. If you look closely at the bottom right corner, you can see that I also wrote something into the paint (with a colored pencil), and it adds yet another layer and lends some mystery to the piece. The claybord was my favorite surface of the 3.

1 comment: