Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Reflections on Kauai #1

Just returned last week from our 8 days in Hawaii, on the Garden Isle of Kauai. We were there to attend a wedding, but had plenty of time to explore the island. My head is still swimming with images of this beautiful isle, and the beautiful Hawaiian music that I fell in love with. Here's one such image that intrigues me. It was taken in Princeville, which is on the northern coast of the island. We ate at a restaurant there, where I saw this palm tree with an orchid growing out of it! I don't know if this is common, but the concept stays with me.

It seems like a bit of delicate beauty, surviving on the rough tree trunk. Such a complete contrast of color, texture, and weight. And yet it also seems to be a parasitic relationship. Does the tree benefit from this plant? It doesn't seem likely, unless it simply enjoys the companionship. And then you have the mountains in the distance, acting as a frame for the entire composition. Again, a huge contrast in size and color. I saw so many beautiful colors in the tropical flowers there. Immersed in colors, textures, and sounds, was I.

There is definitely something about this experience that is going to show itself in my art. I'm not sure how, but I do know that here--in this blog--is the place to explore it. So I will continue to reflect on these images, and see where it takes me.

4 comments:

  1. Wondered where you've been. Lovely orchid! Stamina and courage there. I have weeds growing out of my mulberry tree... maybe I should scatter some wildflowers on the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't hurt! Wouldn't that be so cool? Yes, stamina and courage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,
    What wonderful photos from Hawaii. Such dreamy images. I just painted some orchids that a fellow exhibitor at a recent art fair was showing. Doris told me you had an orchid image so here I am. I love your words regarding the relationship between the tree and the orchid. The orchids I saw at the fair were not attached to trees. So now I see a whole new perspective of them here. I'm glad I stopped by to see your blog, it's gorgeous, hope you stop by and say Hi to me and see my painted orchids!
    Welcome back.
    P.S. you really should enlarge and frame these images. They are breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete